Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

technology

Our district has just decided to fund this big technology initiative--there is definitely some irony in this. Starting with the fact that our principal is one of the most technophobic people that I have ever met. Add to that the fact that there are people in our building who cannot master email and couple it with the slowest server known to man; I think we may be in some trouble.

In theory, it sounds really good because we need to prepare the students to be able to function in a tech savvy world but I have been in education long enough to be suspicious. Many times the educational bureaucrats come up with grandiose plans that do not work. Plus I've watched what has happened with our renovation. Some of the stuff that has been added to the building during the construction--that we're supposed to be thrilled about---are not that wonderful...or functional.

One thing that they are all excited about is providing all the teachers with laptops. They seem think that I should be jumping for joy because they're going to get me a laptop. I have a laptop; I'm typing on it now. Actually in this house, between the roommate and me, we have five computers: a laptop and desktop each and an additional decrepit old laptop. I don't need a school provided one.

A desktop at school is just fine. After all at school, I need the computer hooked to the projector, vcr/dvd, document camera and airliner. It is not necessary that it be portable. I'd be happy if the desktop would just not sound like a jet engine and if the speakers didn't buzz and it would be really nice if the tech guy would come figure out what is going on with my printer.

I'd be happy if the technology we have now would just work properly and I'd much prefer they provide the students with additional access to computers than to give me one. I have one class that I cannot get into a computer lab to do anything because they have scheduled classes in the computer labs, even though we have classroom computer labs that could have been used for that purpose.

This summer we're supposed to start professional development that is related to this new plan. Hopefully it will go better than I think.

No comments: