Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Power of Harry Potter

I did not immediately jump on the Harry Potter bandwagon when the books first came out but it did not take me long to fall in love with the series.  After all, who doesn't love a coming of age story about good versus evil?

In recent years, my colleagues have advocated including it in the curriculum and since it is technically Brit Lit, it is taught at the senior year.  One of my colleagues created a fun and interactive unit complete with "owls", "sorting hat" and "potions".  I have borrowed a page from her book and sorted my students for our Harry Potter unit.  Since it falls at the end of the year when the senioritis is in full swing, group work seems the best way to hold them all accountable.  Their grades are tied together and they do not want to suffer the wrath of their peers.

All of my seniors took an online Sorting Hat quiz to select their houses for our unit.  They read on their own, discuss with in their groups and complete challenge activities.  Everything is for House Points--just like at Hogwarts. 

It is working marvelously.  I have students who have not been engaged all year excited about coming to English class.  One young man in particular comes to mind.  He's struggled academically all year--not due to a lack of ability but due to a lack of "want-to"; he hasn't wanted to do his work thus far.  And when I first introduced the assignment, he flipped out at the prospect of having to read a novel on his own. 

Then the light came on...which is my favorite of teaching moments.

He was the first one finished with the reading. 

He told me yesterday that he was so excited to come to English class that he tried to come to class...on a day when we don't have class.  He forgot which day it was.

Yesterday during a challenge activity, he jumped a desk to turn his House's challenge activity first. 

He is not alone in his excitement.  The majority of the class is engaged--now there is always a  few holdouts but the element of competition is pushing those to try at least some.

After all the winning house gets an A and bragging rights.  Never underestimate the power of Harry Potter.

No comments: