Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Shakespeare: The Power of Master Will--Lockup Edition

I was going to bed and then I started watching Lockup.  The show fascinates me and there are days I think it should be required view to deter some budding young criminals that I know.  On tonight's episode, at a prison in Indiana, they have a Shakespeare program for the inmates led by a college professor from an area university.

The participants read, study, analyze and discuss Shakespeare's work and even rewrite scenes in their own words.  The professor selected Macbeth for their course of study that was shown in this episode.  She said for several reasons and as someone who teaches Macbeth, I understand her choice. 

Watching these inmates--in segregation--intelligently discuss Shakespeare's Macbeth impressed me.  I love Shakespeare.  If I could teach a Shakespeare class, then I would be a happy woman.  

No comments: