Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Open house...two weeks too late

I'm dreading tomorrow.  Tomorrow is our open house at work; it's supposed to be a "meet the teacher" kind of thing but because it's two weeks after school starts, the parents want to treat it as a parent teacher conference.  That's a problem.

We operate on an alternating block schedule, so I see their kids every other day.  I do not know my freshmen yet and they do not have enough grades in for anyone to start worrying.

To me, it would be more logical to do this before school starts.  We have a freshmen orientation but we're not all there for orientation and this year more than half the building was still a construction zone for orientation.  More than one parent expressed disappointment that they wouldn't meet all of their child's teachers.

Another problem with open house is that it means I will be working from 7:45 a.m. to 7 p.m. or later.   Some of the parents don't seem to realize how long we've been there and are in no hurry to let us leave.

Sigh.

With this in mind, I drag myself off to bed for tomorrow will be a long day in an already long week.  I'm going to need a lot of caffeine.

No comments: